Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Fig Newton

Today's Gospel, the Solemnity of Corpus Christi Luke 9:11b-17 evoked an old memory.  There are people who think the multiplication of the loaves and fish was not a true physical miracle, but that those seated saw that Jesus was giving away the small amount of bread the little band had, became generous and unafraid to take out the lunch they had secretly stashed in their clothing.  

There was a period in my life when I had to do quite a bit of international traveling.  I was used to unexpected delays on airplanes without the possibility of food service.  I always carried a package of fig newtons in my hand luggage because it was sweet and moist and could do in an emergency.

On this one particular flight we were delayed in our take-off from Rome because of a black out in Marseilles which we would have to fly over and needed the observation of their control tower.   The crew passed out water and rolled up a mobile air conditioner truck but they couldn't light the stove for food nor let us get off because they never knew when they would get the word to take off.   The hours on the hot August tarmack went on and on to number six.   I looked at my little package of cookies and thought "What are these among so many?'  and selfishly and surreptitiously ate them about one an hour.  A male flight attendent who was passing out bottles of water secretly handed me a little buttered roll, "Because you are so good and patient Sorella."   I decided not to tell him it was 'smart', not patient....  and thanked him for  the little gift.

I think it was all right to eat the fig newtons, but I often wondered if Jesus might have been able to work a miracle if my faith were only stronger.