Wednesday, October 30, 2013

reflections on Luke 19:1-10

The biggest crowd I can imagine is St. Peter's Square in Rome during a General Audience. Instead of the Holy Father, Francis, it is Jesus of Nazareth teaching the crowd. I listen eagerly to His words but He can't see me among nine thousand people. All of a sudden, however, I look up and there is Jesus. "I have come to be with you." I reply with an astonished, "Who, me?" Yes, he is looking directly at me and smiling. He is inviting himself to my home. My first thought is that I left the house in such a hurry that the breakfast dishes are still in the sink, the laundry to be folded is on the couch and that mark of all civilization, the made bed, is not done. Please, Lord, come tomorrow so I can be ready to receive you worthily... He tells me that I am already 'worthy' for His love has made me special. He wants to come now. He doesn't seem to notice the external disorder, but invites me to share the secret darknesses in my heart. "I have come to heal and save what is in danger of being lost and to brind peace and joy." As I give him full access to my heart I gratefully notice his gentle walk that does not embarrass but only increases my love and trust.... I cry each day, "Come Lord Jesus!"