Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Reflections on Luke 18:9-14

Since this Gospel was written we have heard many times the phrase: "..whoever exaltss himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted." We all know people who "take the last place" or who say, "I don't deserve praise" and embarass the one who tries to give them a sincere compliment. I remember a very good cook whose every meal was a delight. When I sincerely thanked and complimented her for about the third time she seemed angry. "I don't do it for the praise so you shouldn't praise me." I was startled by that reaction and replied that I NEEDED to acknowledge her talent because I knew her gift ultimately came from God. We learned that humility is truth. It is also a gift from God. If we fake it because we want people to praise more or for some other reason, perhaps a habit, it comes across strange. It cannot be faked. In the parable, Jesus is not criticizing the pharisee for the good he does, but because he thought that makes him better than the near bye tax collector. In a healthy examination of conscience we must begin by examining and thanking God for the good he has allowed us to do, and then to ask light to see our failures and sins, knowing that both the strength for the good and the forgiveness for the sin are pure gifts of his love. Pope Francis insists that we must constantly walk with Jesus, not just thinking of him when we need something from him... That is the secret of peace and joy and it is free!