Friday, January 2, 2009

Uncle Karl and the Plum Trees

At the beginning of a new year my dear late Uncle Karl comes to mind again. His wisdom formed much of who I am. One time I visited his farm in Germany he showed me the old plum trees that had grown up with him, planted by his own father about a century before. Since they now had more dead branches than live ones they needed to be gradually replaced because the little purple plums for which the region was famous were one of his few cash crops. As he planted the little trees he chuckled and said, "The neighborhood is laughing at me because an old man is planting little fruit trees. I thought about it and decided since I had done nothing only for myself, so these trees and their fruit are for the future. Someone will enjoy these plums and I wish them bon appetite!" How often I have thought an inspiration or a project was 'not worth it' because its end was either not in sight or probably would not be appreciated. When I was tempted not to act I would remember Uncle Karl and the plum trees. On many future visits he and I enjoyed those delicious little plums and his story is bearing fruit far beyond both our life times.