Monday, October 20, 2008

Beatification of the parents of St. Therese of Lisieux

Yesterday the city of Lisieux in France celebrated the beatification of Louise and Zelie Martin, the parents of the beloved St. Therese. The digital visit to the beautiful basilica dedicated to her honor brought back a memory and a smile.

After five very happy years serving at St. Therese Parish in San Diego, California, and on the recommendation of the pastor, I decided to visit Lisieux during a family visit to Europe to give thanks for those happy five years. I also, on a whim, asked St. Therese to grant me a surprise there.

On the day before Pentecost someone asked if I would like to participate in a special celebration at the Feast Day liturgy. Of course I would, and, as requested I presented myself at the sacristy of the basilica. A group of us who were not French were asked to walk in procession at the Mass carrying torches and to recite a line of the Gloria in our native language. Then we were to place the torches on two pedestals prepared on either side of the high altar and take our places within the sanctuary. Having enjoyed being a lector and on the liturgy committee in my home parish, I immediately recognized this as my surprise.

All went according to plan until the Bishop celebrant began his homily. The torches burned down their wooden staffs, through the moss holding them to the pedestals and then began to burn the wooden bases themselves while the Bishop spoke on and on. Little bits of ash began to float on the air in the sanctuary and I decided my duty would be to make sure none landed on the altar boys sitting in front of me. When the Bishop finished two altar servers came out and in synchronized motion splashed water on the pedestals as though this was all pre-arranged. It was a wonderful day and a young at heart Saint shared a little joke with me.